Sunday, February 12, 2012

Grassroots movement

Grassroots Movement: Happy Valentine's Day

 Sometimes change has to happen at home. Valentines Day is coming up this week, and thousands of children will go to school on Tuesday with their backpack filled with cheap candy to give to the other children in thier classroom. Not to mention that most classroom will also have a Valentines Day party, and further fill the children with salty, sugary and fatty foods. 


Working in the classroom, this always made me cringe. But it wasn't my classroom so I couldn't say no to it. What I could, and did do every year, was ensure that the children's morning snack (usually animal crackers, goldfish or pretzels) would be fruit. 


I would make each child a strawberry rose out of those monstrous strawberries that are available at this time of year. Sometimes they got rose buds, but if I had enough time in the classroom, I would make the "strawberry rose "bloom" right before their eyes. They LOVED it!




Click here for my tutorial on how to make blooming rose strawberries

If you don't trust your knife skills, here is a small collection of other ideas you could bring to your child's classroom party or send in as an alternative to candy valentines. 

Melon fruit kebobsby Parents.com


Heart shaped boiled eggs by Anna the Red




"I'm going bananas over you" and "You are the apple of my eye" fruit labels by twigandthistlestore


Valentines bookmarks by queenvanna



Heart shaped seed bombs by Mademoiselle Chaos



Heart shaped crayons by Denise and Jillian
(I would do this with holiday shapes to avoid the Christmas party treat dilemma with my class)

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home